The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#26 2007-01-26 17:29:16

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

Re: Oh phooey....

Like my Bubba Ho-tep question earlier.  Am I the only one whose seen it?[/i]

I actually saw it in the theather durring it's limited run in NYC. 
My wife H-A-T-E-D it, and still reminds me of that fact every time I say I watch to catch some limited engagement flick in the city.

Yeah, my wife didn't H-A-T-E it but she's wasn't impressed...but what did you think?

I thought it was ok.  it had some good lines and a decently out-there concept, but my favorite Bruce Cambell flick will always be Evil Dead 2.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#27 2007-01-26 22:30:24

Buckaroohawk

If Vic is dead, then DC just lost a reader in me.  Feh.

Re: Bubba Ho-Tep.  I've seen it.  I own it on DVD.  It's far and away my favorite Bruce Campbell movie.  And my wife loves it, too!  It has a quirky concept, but at its heart is a sad and touching story of how poorly we treat the aged and infirm in the US.  Honest to God, I was moved to tears during the scene where Campbell (as Elvis) is standing outside when his nurse comes to get him for his treatment.  Despite the ridiculous Elvis pompador and make-up, Campbell delivers venomous lines, swearing that if the nurse ver treats him like a child again, he'd wrap his walker around her neck.  His anger in that scene felt so real and honest that it changed the entire movie for me and proved without a doubt that Campbell isn't just a C-grade actor who gets by on smarmy one-liners.

Adding to that is Ossie Davis, in his last movie role.  Campbell's scenes with the venerable actor are wonderful, and Davis made me believe he really was JFK trapped in the body of an aging black man.  Buba Ho-Tep is a great little movie, so much more than just a weird, low-budget horror film.  I suggest that you ask your wives to take another look at it.  It really is much greater than the sum of its parts.

A Question.  Since before your sun burned hot in space and before your race was born, I have awaited...A Question.

#28 2007-01-27 10:09:28

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

If Vic is dead, then DC just lost a reader in me.  Feh.

Re: Bubba Ho-Tep.  I've seen it.  I own it on DVD.  It's far and away my favorite Bruce Campbell movie.  And my wife loves it, too!  It has a quirky concept, but at its heart is a sad and touching story of how poorly we treat the aged and infirm in the US.  Honest to God, I was moved to tears during the scene where Campbell (as Elvis) is standing outside when his nurse comes to get him for his treatment.  Despite the ridiculous Elvis pompador and make-up, Campbell delivers venomous lines, swearing that if the nurse ver treats him like a child again, he'd wrap his walker around her neck.  His anger in that scene felt so real and honest that it changed the entire movie for me and proved without a doubt that Campbell isn't just a C-grade actor who gets by on smarmy one-liners.

Adding to that is Ossie Davis, in his last movie role.  Campbell's scenes with the venerable actor are wonderful, and Davis made me believe he really was JFK trapped in the body of an aging black man.  Buba Ho-Tep is a great little movie, so much more than just a weird, low-budget horror film.  I suggest that you ask your wives to take another look at it.  It really is much greater than the sum of its parts.

Everyone I show Buba Ho-Tep to loves it, as do I!

I won't take up more room talking about why I love it since you basically summed it up.

Who are you?

Board footer