The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2006-11-27 05:41:10

the1captain

The Question Returns one-shot

Just wondering what everyone thought of this book.  For me, it was a hugh disapointment, surprising since it was written by Denny.  The whole "Vic hits his head and talks to people that weren't there" thing has been done to death with the Question.  It's nice to see Q? but I felt that this was not the one-shot needed to drum up interest in a new series.  The artwork was lacking.  I usually really like Barreto's artwork(check out THE SHADOW STRIKES!).  He kept drawing Q? with eyes on his mask!  Guess he didn't unserstand the whole "no-face" thing.

Comments anyone?

#2 2006-11-27 06:53:44

Outsider

Re: The Question Returns one-shot

Loved the cover.

The story itself... nothing special. It didn't match up to the heights of the O'Neil run. There was no "there" there, you know?

And the eyeholes drove me nuts. Really, it's the little things.

(Although I'm not so quick to blame Barretto -- it could have been a colouring error. The editor should have known better.)

#3 2006-11-27 08:12:56

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I think the eyeholes were there because he didn't actually have the right mask anymore. But it's been awhile since I've read that one, so I could be wrong.

--Eric

#4 2006-11-27 08:36:07

Pendragon

Too me, the eyeholes in the mask looked more like a color issue.

It looks like the colorist didn't bother filling in the eyes with flesh color.

The story did fall short & was disappointing.

I'm not a cop.
I'm not a judge either.
I'm just a guy who's got to have answers if he's to sleep at night.

#5 2006-11-27 13:05:53

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

I didn't care for it. It was one of my earlier exposures to the O'Neil Question, and even then I could tell something was off.

Although I will admit I loved the black guy's monologue about the River Spirit. If only it had been used in a better context.

The Question Returns also adds to the mess of continuity that occurs after Vic leaves Hub City at the end of the O'Neil/Cowan series. He apparantly returns and leaves at least two more times (through various Annuals, Quarterlys, and the Showcase '95 issue), and each one treats it like it's the first time he's left and come back. It's really hard to follow.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#6 2006-11-27 13:27:30

Byrd68

I didn't care for it. It was one of my earlier exposures to the O'Neil Question, and even then I could tell something was off.

Although I will admit I loved the black guy's monologue about the River Spirit. If only it had been used in a better context.

The Question Returns also adds to the mess of continuity that occurs after Vic leaves Hub City at the end of the O'Neil/Cowan series. He apparantly returns and leaves at least two more times (through various Annuals, Quarterlys, and the Showcase '95 issue), and each one treats it like it's the first time he's left and come back. It's really hard to follow.

You'd think that this most recent "Crisis" is a perfect time to fix Vic's continuity.

#7 2006-11-27 19:14:47

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Oh, DC's not worried about Vic's continuity. They're too busy GIVING HIM INCURABLE LUNG CANCER.  :evil:

#8 2006-11-27 19:53:07

NoFaceGuy

I never picked up that issue.  I think I had been disappointed with where O'Neil was taking the character and the art wasn't to my liking so I passed.

#9 2006-11-28 09:49:22

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

I've never read it, but I think "The Question Returns" is an awesome title.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#10 2006-11-28 10:15:55

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Yes, which makes it all the more bittersweet. We could've had Vic returning from his journey specifically to bust heads and start fixing Hub City again.

But is that what we got? No.

#11 2006-11-29 07:19:25

Outsider

Flash1087 wrote:

We could've had Vic returning from his journey specifically to bust heads and start fixing Hub City again.quote]

To be fair, Vic was going back to Hub City specifically to bust some heads... but by the time he got there, the heads had already been busted by Myra and some guy we never met before.

And that's why the story was a failure.

GREAT cover, though.  smile

#12 2006-11-29 14:01:53

Byrd68

Outsider wrote:

Flash1087 wrote:

We could've had Vic returning from his journey specifically to bust heads and start fixing Hub City again.

To be fair, Vic was going back to Hub City specifically to bust some heads... but by the time he got there, the heads had already been busted by Myra and some guy we never met before.

And that's why the story was a failure.

GREAT cover, though.  smile

Was it a failure?

Hadn't Vic disappeared from the Radar.  Hadn't he retired The Question?

#13 2006-11-29 18:38:12

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Vic was a professional poker player by this point. All that secondhand smoke may have led to...well, you know.

I like this story too, because it's not about fighting. It's about resolution and cutting ties.

--Eric

#14 2006-11-30 08:20:14

Outsider

Was it a failure?

Good question -- whether or not it succeeded as a story depends entirely on the expectations of the reader. In my case, I was left feeling "it could have been more" -- like there was something missing.

(On the other hand, the question of whether or not the book was a commercial failure, that's easy. It sold poorly, and didn't lead to a new ongoing series.)

#15 2006-11-30 09:16:16

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

But, if as O'Neil told me he believed (but couldn't remember exactly), it was some sort of trademark rights issue that necessitated a quick turnaround of a one-shot book, it did just fine....

--Eric

#16 2006-11-30 11:12:01

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

I'd always kind of wondered about that. I initially assumed maybe it was the #1 to a miniseries and that the rest of the issues were just really hard to find or something. Was it ever intended to lead to an on-going?

#17 2006-11-30 13:40:56

the1captain

But, if as O'Neil told me he believed (but couldn't remember exactly), it was some sort of trademark rights issue that necessitated a quick turnaround of a one-shot book, it did just fine....

--Eric

Just wondering when you talked to Denny.  I've always wanted  to talk to him.  Not just becasue of the Question, but because as both a writer and editor he guided Batman for decades.  I have alot of respect for him.

#18 2006-11-30 13:41:15

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

--Eric

That makes sense...I've heard that DC does own some characters that they lose the rights to if they don't publish a book with the character's name in the title with-in a certain time span.

One case I've heard is that if they do not publish a book with Wonder Woman in the title for over a year, the character's rights go back to the creator's family.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#19 2006-11-30 14:23:03

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Something along those lines is true. I think it's mostly the things that they don't have work-for-hire contracts on. Fawcett, Wonder Woman, Charlton, Quality, etc....

Board footer