The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#51 2006-11-16 07:05:56

Outsider

Re: Conversation with Justin Eger

I'll start with an embarrassing admission -- I'm learning Kung Fu. In and of itself, not embarassing... until I admit that I'm taking it because I read The Question and Richard Dragon...  :oops:

Kung Fu students can follow a certain path, beyond the obvious coloured-sashes-path. First you are a student. Then you become an advanced student (sometimes called a Si-Hing), where one of your roles is to assist the beginner students. After that, you become a teacher, or Sifu, even though you are still learning.

When your students become teachers, you ascend to the next level (which in my style is called Tai Sifu, but I've also heard this level referred to as "Master"). The teacher of the teacher. However, you're still responsible to help the beginning students.

Relating back to the current status in 52 is simple -- Montoya is the student, Sage acts as Sifu, and Dragon would be Tai Sifu.

I think what Byrd's saying here, and on many levels, I can see his point, is: What happens to a character who (in the DC version at least) is driven by curiosity and discovering himself, when he has all of his questions answered?

"You'll have nothing more to learn ten minutes after you're dead."

Sage's role is to teach Montoya, but that doesn't mean his own question has been answered...

#52 2006-11-16 10:53:24

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Sage's role is to teach Montoya, but that doesn't mean his own question has been answered...

Oh certainly. I'm not saying that I want to see him lose his curiosity (or his life). But this might be the direction from which Rucka & the Gang are coming at things from.

--Eric

#53 2006-11-16 15:33:25

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

I dunno how ridiculous it is to take Kung Fu because a fictional character inspired you to. I sometimes want to be an investigative journalist because of Vic.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#54 2006-11-16 17:19:57

Bagoth

Death apparently. Or he could go back to being a hard-line, ass-kicking objectivist. Or he could become a city-shaman. Or all three, which would be awesome.

And a conspiracy theorist, that would be just lovely.

"Conspiracy, singular" wink

Question Authority - A virtual comic series coming soon.

#55 2006-11-16 17:41:43

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I did my time as a journalist, only sometimes investigative. I worked in newspapers, so the real thing that irks me about Vic (that I'd change if I took over the book) would be taking him off of television.

He's too savvy and intelligent to be a TV reporter (no offense to any potential TV reporters on the forum).  wink

--Eric

#56 2006-11-16 20:08:57

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

Yeah, I definetly agree with you there. I always figured that he wrote for papers, and occasionally got spots on TV rather than be a steady employee for a particular station. TV news is mostly about pretty faces rather than hard-core journalism.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#57 2006-11-17 04:04:35

Jazz Noir
Website

I did my time as a journalist, only sometimes investigative. I worked in newspapers, so the real thing that irks me about Vic (that I'd change if I took over the book) would be taking him off of television.

He's too savvy and intelligent to be a TV reporter (no offense to any potential TV reporters on the forum).  wink

--Eric

I always felt that Vic was more of a "Television Personality" having his own show, rather than just being a television reporter. I think the Veitch - Edwards series conveyed that quite well, when dealing with the reaction of fans.

'Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions' - Voltaire.

'There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future.' - Vagrant Story.

#58 2006-11-17 14:38:42

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Yeah, Vic Sage is kind of a Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert type of reporter; he's the focus of his show although his work is far more serious.

I'd always hoped his nighty program was called "SAGE WORDS" or something.  lol

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#59 2006-11-17 15:31:20

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I always saw, despite their political differences, Edward Murrow as an influence on Ditko's Question. I have no evidence to support this, though.

But Murrow died of lung cancer too....

--Eric

#60 2006-11-17 22:17:42

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Bizarrely enough, if David Straithairn was younger he'd be my #1 choice for a live-action Vic Sage. He's very Ditko looking.

#61 2006-11-20 09:57:10

Byrd68

I have to go with Eric and Mr. A on this.  I think Vic would come from the old school, get your hands dirty, report the facts, not editorialize them and let the public choose, style of journalism.

I just started reading Helltown where Vic's a radio reporter.  This seems more plausible than TV or Newspaper, and I really don't see the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert comparison.

I also have to acknowledge Jazz Noir and say that he makes a very good point about the Vietich/Edwards series (I'm waiting to order the last 3 issues) in that Lois at least seems to regard him as a "Face" rather than a "Real Reporter" (quotes my own) which would be the perfect cover for the man with no face.

#62 2006-11-20 14:56:03

Jazz Noir
Website

I also have to acknowledge Jazz Noir and say that she (correct pronoun?) makes a very good point about the Vietich/Edwards series (I'm waiting to order the last 3 issues) in that Lois at least seems to regard him as a "Face" rather than a "Real Reporter" (quotes my own) which would be the perfect cover for the man with no face.

Thanks for the aknowledgement. Wrong pronoun though wink

'There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future.' - Vagrant Story.

#63 2006-11-20 17:52:54

Byrd68

Thanks for the aknowledgement. Wrong pronoun though wink

I thought it might have been because I thought I saw it covered in another forum.

My bad.

It is now corrected.

#64 2006-11-20 18:24:26

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Why does everyone think you're a lady, JN?

#65 2006-11-22 13:09:20

Jazz Noir
Website

Many reasons:

1. My Avatar is of a female character ('Jazz' from 'Jet Set Radio Future')

2.I've never actually disclosed my sex, since I've never been asked (until now)

3. I don't do girls wink

#66 2006-11-22 14:26:57

Byrd68

Many reasons:

3. I don't do girls wink

1. What is "Jet Set Radio Future"?

2. Were you really asked?

3. Neither do 65% of Fanboys (though studies show 72% of those survied would if given the chance, 18% if they were a specific character or actress, 4% fainted, 3% were undecided, and 3% other) lol

But seriously, as much fun as I am having (getting to know you, getting to know all about you) doesn't this conversation belong in a different forum?

#67 2006-11-22 20:01:39

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Many reasons:

3. I don't do girls wink

Me neither, although probably for vastly different reasons.

And it's cool you don't have a problem mentioning it.

#68 2006-11-23 13:33:54

Jazz Noir
Website

Many reasons:

3. I don't do girls wink

1. What is "Jet Set Radio Future"?

2. Were you really asked?

3. Neither do 65% of Fanboys (though studies show 72% of those survied would if given the chance, 18% if they were a specific character or actress, 4% fainted, 3% were undecided, and 3% other) lol

But seriously, as much fun as I am having (getting to know you, getting to know all about you) doesn't this conversation belong in a different forum?

1. Jet Set Radio Future

2. Yes.

Since '3' doesn't actually require an answer, I skipped it. Technially this paticular topic of conversation does belong in another section of the forum. But, since my answering Eric's Question (heh) was reactionary, I didn't plan on it lasting long.

#69 2006-11-23 21:43:57

DarkKnightJRK
Website

I've always thought that The Question belonged in the Batman family, I can honestly see him starting a detective agency or something.

Well, I imagine that a lot of the street-level heroes have contacts with each other (like Batman, Green Arrow, those types), so I can see Q helping them if needed.

As for the detective agency--not sure if I would go as far, but I could see him with some agents/lower operatives on his side, akin to The Shadow. 8)

#70 2006-11-24 10:08:18

Bagoth

^Agents without those little caps on the ends of their shoelaces.

Question Authority - A virtual comic series coming soon.

#71 2006-11-27 08:38:05

Pendragon

I still would rather see O'Neil's verison of a man who needs the answers to various questions.

I'm not a cop.
I'm not a judge either.
I'm just a guy who's got to have answers if he's to sleep at night.

#72 2006-11-29 14:46:51

Byrd68

I still would rather see O'Neil's verison of a man who needs the answers to various questions.

But Does it have to be the same man.  Or even a man?

#73 2006-11-29 16:14:04

Pendragon

I'm my mind yes.

I'm not a cop.
I'm not a judge either.
I'm just a guy who's got to have answers if he's to sleep at night.

#74 2006-11-30 08:15:01

Outsider

Hey, aren't we having this discussion somewhere else?  smile

Board footer