The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2008-05-24 13:53:54

theQuestion

Does Charlton Question know martial arts?

I know he learned from Richard Dragon in the Oneil series, but I haven't read any Charlton versions of him... Does he know martial arts?

#2 2008-05-25 19:25:27

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Re: Does Charlton Question know martial arts?

He's kinda more like a two-fisted vigilante type, like The Spirit. But being a Ditko character, he does a lot of awesome gymnastics on top of that:

http://www.vicsage.com/gallery/published/bbv15b.jpg

#3 2008-05-26 10:55:46

theQuestion

Thanks... I've been waiting on a collection of Charlton stuff so I can get a feel for Ditko question. I also need to get L.A.W

#4 2009-03-21 18:09:29

NoFaceGuy

Where the heck did that old stereotype of big muscly guys wearing striped shirts come from?  It's like a sailor / dock worker thing somehow, right?

#5 2009-03-21 23:45:04

Izzy O' Toole

NoFaceGuy wrote:

Where the heck did that old stereotype of big muscly guys wearing striped shirts come from?  It's like a sailor / dock worker thing somehow, right?

A bank robber and a mime got it on, from then on comics were never the same.

What would Rudolph say?

#6 2009-03-22 09:07:26

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

Well, I guess it's possible that it goes back to late 19th century carnivals. It seems like striped clothing was considered pretty gaudy back in the 1800's, so it's likely a lot of circus strong men would wear striped shirts in order to draw attention and make their feats seem more surreal and incredible. That image may have still been ingrained in the public consciousness all the way up to the 1940's, when super heroes (the first of whom naturally dress like circus strong men) first started showing up. Also, it's possible that a lot of thugs in early comics wear striped shirts because it suggests those old black and white prison uniforms.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

Board footer