The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2008-10-12 19:53:24

blazingwhitemask

Writing the Question Screenplay

Comment has been deleted

Last edited by blazingwhitemask (2009-01-13 21:48:03)

The Question (Vic Sage) + Batman (Bruce Wayne) + Catwoman (Selina Kyle) + Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) = ONE KICK ASS TEAM!

#2 2008-10-13 07:09:25

mothmanlives
Website

Re: Writing the Question Screenplay

Best of luck in all of your projects!

Everything that exists has a specific nature, and possesses characteristics that are a part of what it is. A is A. And no matter what reality he calls home, Luthor is Luthor. If I'm to save the world, your existence must come to an end, before you take office.

#3 2008-10-13 09:24:00

blazingwhitemask

Thanks, mothmanlives!

By the way, I wanted to ask everyone a question about Question (no pun intended). I am planning on buying the third TPB but can't wait for the fourth seeing as how it comes out in April. After the third TPB, should I just buy the issues individually? I need some reference for my screenplay/story, and want to incorporate as many elements of the character as possible. I checked on eBay and a lot of people are selling their issues in bundles ranging from $7 to $9 for just five to even ten issues.

The Question (Vic Sage) + Batman (Bruce Wayne) + Catwoman (Selina Kyle) + Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) = ONE KICK ASS TEAM!

#4 2008-10-13 09:46:17

mothmanlives
Website

I actually purchased almost my complete run from milehighcomics on ebay.  I picked mine up for fairly cheap from those guys and they have combined shipping so it was a really good deal.  Um, also check your local comic shops they normally have some at fairly good deals.  Hope that helps

Everything that exists has a specific nature, and possesses characteristics that are a part of what it is. A is A. And no matter what reality he calls home, Luthor is Luthor. If I'm to save the world, your existence must come to an end, before you take office.

#5 2008-10-13 14:35:41

blazingwhitemask

Thanks again, mothmanlives.

I'm pretty sure I saw them (milehighcomics) listed there. I just need the source material (in mint condition would be nice).

By the way, I only own the first two TPBs of the Question series by O'Neil and Cowan. Are there any other significant issues out there of Q? that I should get? The annuals? 52?

Last edited by blazingwhitemask (2008-10-13 22:46:16)

#6 2008-10-14 12:42:50

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Well, I'd point you towards all of the original series, but that might be hard for you to secure without spending some big bucks (the cheapest way is probably to get the archive that DC collected them in which comes out to a total of 52.32 US dollars....soooo there's that).

Additionally, I'd recommend you look at the non-forum part of VICSAGE.COM where you can find some pretty complete summaries, essays, and writings....etc..... on basically all the Question comics from times past.

Who are you?

#7 2008-10-14 12:44:11

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

(also, reading connected works like "WATCHMEN," or "MR. A" might be useful as well)

Who are you?

#8 2008-10-14 20:12:49

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

Here's a link to one of the only complete Mr. A comics floating around on the Internet:
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/297/

Also, if you've got access to a decent local comic shop you should check out Devils in the Details, from, I think, 2004. Some people object to it because it's "different", but honestly I see it as being a more loyal extension to O'Neil's Q? than O'Neil's was to Ditko's. Regardless, it's got really good art and some fun one-liners.

Oh, and Question Quarterly #1 is a very, very good read. Skip the one with what looks like a strip of film recording Q? throwing a punch though (think it was #3 or 4). It's got one of the best covers, but one of the weakest stories of any Q? comics I've read.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#9 2008-10-14 20:39:33

blazingwhitemask

Thank you both, Mr. A and ?.

I have read all of the summaries, essays, etc. but I really need to experience the comics myself. The first Question Quarterly I'll be sure to check out as well as the others.

My next question (yes, I have a lot) is:

I've researched a lot on the character of the Question and have found that he has just about as many incarnations as the character Batman himself. What I mean by that is, Batman went from being this dark character to a campy, father figure to a gothic creature of the night and then to being boiled down to a dark creature of the night that is at heart, a tragic and disturbed human being. Question (from what I have read) has done something like this. He went from being an Objectivist/conspiracy theorist to a Zen detective/crimefighter to an Objectivist/conspiracy theorist in the Justice League version.  Was O’Neil’s Question ever a conspiracy theorist?

#10 2008-10-15 19:48:31

ryumega

O'Neil portrayed Vic in the first issue as angry and arrogant. That his motive was to puff up his pride and career and not to help those or punish.

I'm personally very fond of the original Ditko version, an objectivist reporter (was not a conspiracy theorist at this time and Miller's version was interesting) with moral absolute.

The other is the JLU version. This one is the conspiracy theorist, a more tame Rorschach with some Fox Mulder thrown in. I believe this is the best modern incarnation of the question (52 gave a good try down playing his zen crap and the Vietch run was ok)

Last edited by ryumega (2008-10-15 19:49:39)

"Professional liar and avid miss-speller"

#11 2008-10-18 18:12:43

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

blazingwhitemask wrote:

Thank you both, Mr. A and ?.

I have read all of the summaries, essays, etc. but I really need to experience the comics myself. The first Question Quarterly I'll be sure to check out as well as the others.

My next question (yes, I have a lot) is:

I've researched a lot on the character of the Question and have found that he has just about as many incarnations as the character Batman himself. What I mean by that is, Batman went from being this dark character to a campy, father figure to a gothic creature of the night and then to being boiled down to a dark creature of the night that is at heart, a tragic and disturbed human being. Question (from what I have read) has done something like this. He went from being an Objectivist/conspiracy theorist to a Zen detective/crimefighter to an Objectivist/conspiracy theorist in the Justice League version.  Was O’Neil’s Question ever a conspiracy theorist?

Not to my knowledge.

Who are you?

#12 2008-10-18 23:47:24

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

It seems like it was really more of a Rorschach thing that just got embedded within the character. Though, one could argue that O'Neil's Q? technically fought conspiracies all the time, what with Hatch, the military guys, and that family of terrorists. They just tended to be mildly mundane...or nonsensical.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#13 2008-10-19 10:53:11

blazingwhitemask

Comment has been deleted.

Last edited by blazingwhitemask (2009-01-13 21:47:16)

#14 2008-10-20 07:09:07

Squashy Josh
Website

blazingwhitemask wrote:

I want my Q? to be a little bit of all of his incarnations (Ditko, O'Neil, Timm). So far, he's heavily based off of the O'Neil version and snaps in and out of his Timm/Rorschach personality when seriously injured or in deep thought.

An interesting idea. One thing I think is very important to keep in mind when approaching a character like The Question in such a manner is that all his different incarnations had very different ideological principles: Some could (in my opinion) be contradictory in places. Along with reading as much Question material as possible, you may also benefit from reading some stuff on each of the ideological principles, philosophies and morals that each version had to give a better understanding of the core principles of each one: where they gel and where they do not. Just a thought though.

#15 2008-10-21 05:48:18

blazingwhitemask

Squashy Josh wrote:

blazingwhitemask wrote:

I want my Q? to be a little bit of all of his incarnations (Ditko, O'Neil, Timm). So far, he's heavily based off of the O'Neil version and snaps in and out of his Timm/Rorschach personality when seriously injured or in deep thought.

An interesting idea. One thing I think is very important to keep in mind when approaching a character like The Question in such a manner is that all his different incarnations had very different ideological principles: Some could (in my opinion) be contradictory in places. Along with reading as much Question material as possible, you may also benefit from reading some stuff on each of the ideological principles, philosophies and morals that each version had to give a better understanding of the core principles of each one: where they gel and where they do not. Just a thought though.

No, thank you so much. That's what I'm also trying to do. I want the entire O'Neil run and I want to see if I can get my hands on that Charlton Archives vol. 2. I want this Q? to be an objectivist and not into the Zen philosophy... maybe, both if they gel. But yes, that is exactly what I'm going for... the ultimate Question.

#16 2008-10-27 21:43:12

blazingwhitemask

Thanks for the support JScars! So, you've tried before huh? Yeah, I know to register it at WGA and all that good stuff. I just want to at least get halfway through the screenplay.. it doesn't have to be completed. I just want a solid story first, and come back to it later on. At the moment, I am also writing some original works of my own. Good luck on your writing, man. Maybe one day we can work together, it's possible.

Board footer