The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2006-09-02 22:26:07

Alba Aulbath
Website

The Question and His Roots

Kind of popped into my head. Not sure where else to post the topic.

It's probably not important to figure out; the Question is as Question does, and knowing his family background isn't necessary. But still. As most of us know, Vic Sage is an orphan; as a babe, he was left on the doorstep of the church, all cut up and bruised. Nobody knows his family ties -- not even himself.

Anyone ever have any thoughts on linking Victor Zsasz to our beloved Charles Victor Szasz? A thought I had once was that it's a possible family link. Maybe it's a crazy jump, but I suppose psychosis could run in the family. Heh.

Or, alternatively, because the Question has zero family ties... it made me remember Power Girl, and now her new origins, that she's from an alternate world/dimension.

Victor Zsasz and Charles Szasz = linked anyway, possibly?

#2 2006-09-03 02:26:03

Jazz Noir
Website

Re: The Question and His Roots

Yes, I did wonder this too, a few  times. I think it would make for an interesting development in Vic's life, but I could see it ruining him as a character, also. I mean, using the character ' Anarky' fr example, they put a dent in his character when they basically gave him super powers. But what really annoyed me was when they made him the son of 'The Joker' It just made him souch a boring character. I used to love him. He was like "Diet V For Vendetta"

So, although interesting, I'm going to have to sit on the fence. wink

'Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions' - Voltaire.

'There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future.' - Vagrant Story.

#3 2006-09-03 05:51:30

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

So, Anarky was really the son of the Joker? I missed the last issue of the series. He never appeared again, anyway. A shame.

#4 2006-09-03 06:28:16

Jazz Noir
Website

So, Anarky was really the son of the Joker? I missed the last issue of the series. He never appeared again, anyway. A shame.

Whoops. Sorry, I really should have put a spoiler warning. I hope I haven't ruined it for you :shock:

'There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future.' - Vagrant Story.

#5 2006-09-03 09:21:14

Alba Aulbath
Website

Yes, I did wonder this too, a few  times. I think it would make for an interesting development in Vic's life, but I could see it ruining him as a character, also. I mean, using the character ' Anarky' fr example, they put a dent in his character when they basically gave him super powers. But what really annoyed me was when they made him the son of 'The Joker' It just made him souch a boring character. I used to love him. He was like "Diet V For Vendetta"

So, although interesting, I'm going to have to sit on the fence. wink

I think the real concern is the idea being done right. (And, no, I wasn't at all impressed with Anarky being the son of The Joker.) It's just a name connection that's been there for awhile, but never realized. Now that the Question is in Gotham, I'm at least kind of hoping there'll be a remark on it.

It's not necessary at all to give the Question family ties or anything, but it's at least an idea that could be investigated and turn out to be nothing.

#6 2006-09-03 09:34:08

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Whoops. Sorry, I really should have put a spoiler warning. I hope I haven't ruined it for you :shock:

Nah, it's okay. I knew something about it, just wasn't sure if it had been confirmed. Anarky's miniseries had been great, but the ongoing series (well, the bit that lasted) was not as good (though it had its moments, for sure.) Anyway, it's a great character that should make a comeback, no matter how often the guys at Wizard laugh at him!

#7 2006-09-03 10:02:15

Jazz Noir
Website

Nah, it's okay. I knew something about it, just wasn't sure if it had been confirmed. Anarky's miniseries had been great, but the ongoing series (well, the bit that lasted) was not as good (though it had its moments, for sure.) Anyway, it's a great character that should make a comeback, no matter how often the guys at Wizard laugh at him!

I thought he was a fantastic character. The only thing that annoyed me (apart from the whole Joker fiasco), was that they made him a 'super' genius when he managed to fuse both lobes of his brain together. It was just stupid :x

#8 2006-09-03 20:57:04

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Fuse his lobes? Wah? Never was too up to speed with Anarky. Didn't love but enjoyed what I've read featuring him.

Who are you?

#9 2006-09-04 02:28:22

Jazz Noir
Website

Fuse his lobes? Wah? Never was too up to speed with Anarky. Didn't love but enjoyed what I've read featuring him.

Yeah. He managed to create a machine to make him a super genius. At about the age of 15. It was stupid. Almost funny stupid roll

#10 2006-09-04 05:59:30

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

I had forgotten about that. Though it kind of explained how he was able to locate his base under the Washington Monument and hack the JLA's communication system...

#11 2006-09-04 08:12:02

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

I had forgotten about that. Though it kind of explained how he was able to locate his base under the Washington Monument and hack the JLA's communication system...

Hmmm  I beginning to think that maybe not reading his series wasn't a mistake....

Who are you?

#12 2006-09-04 10:35:23

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I didn't mind the brain-fusing so much, I don't think. It's been awhile since I read the Anarky mini.

I think Anarky would be an interesting foil (I hesitate to say villain...he's not really that) for the Q? Especially as Grant and Breyfogle invested more of Ayn Rand's philosophies into the character.

Breyfogle, by the way, for anyone who wonders...my favorite Batman artist ever. Followed by Jim Aparo, Neil Adams and Graham Nolan.

--Eric

#13 2006-09-04 10:48:34

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Hmmm  I beginning to think that maybe not reading his series wasn't a mistake....

Nah, it was good. Not as good as the mini, but a fun read anyway. Anyway, all the essential Anarky is compiled in the Batman: Anarky TP.

#14 2006-09-04 11:42:51

Jazz Noir
Website

I think Anarky would be an interesting foil (I hesitate to say villain...he's not really that) for the Q? Especially as Grant and Breyfogle invested more of Ayn Rand's philosophies into the character.

I agree, 100%

#15 2006-09-04 16:58:15

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Nah, it was good. Not as good as the mini, but a fun read anyway. Anyway, all the essential Anarky is compiled in the Batman: Anarky TP.

Well you have yet to lead me astray, my friend. That's going on my list!

Who are you?

#16 2006-09-05 04:53:50

walkwithcrowds

Who is Victor Zsasz?
From reading through this thread I'm assuming that t is some-one connected with the Batman "family"?
Who ever it is, while I do think giving Vic (sorry, I still think of him as Vic, this whole "52, his name is Charlie" doesn't really work for me) a family or backstory would be interesting I don't think it's essential.
As, I'm sure, was remarked on in the O'Niel run, his not knowing who he is is part of his drive.  It's another question he asks himself - it is THE question.

Be Lucky

#17 2006-09-05 10:55:36

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Victor Zsasz is a Batman villain who makes a slash on his own skin every time he kills someone.

Personally I hope they don't make them related, I can't seem to see any story value in doing so. Though I could be wrong. They just seem like such vastly different characters.

Who are you?

#18 2006-09-05 22:47:01

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Wasn't Charles Victor Szasz just a name assigned to him by the nuns in his orphanage?

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#19 2006-09-06 01:53:07

Jazz Noir
Website

Wasn't Charles Victor Szasz just a name assigned to him by the nuns in his orphanage?

Perhaps it was a convent of... Serial Killer!

... Or not... lol

#20 2006-09-25 16:48:20

NoFaceGuy

While I wouldn't mind Vic's family ties coming to light at some point, I wouldn't want him to be linked to any pre-established characters -- that would most likely come across as contrived.

#21 2006-09-25 17:29:32

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

He's really Thomas Wayne, warped 20+ years into the future and de-aged into a baby.

Who are you?

#22 2006-09-26 10:54:28

Jazz Noir
Website

He's really Thomas Wayne, warped 20+ years into the future and de-aged into a baby.

Even better: An android copy of Martha Wayne warped 100+ years into the future, then -80 years back. Then de-aged into a male baby. 8)

#23 2006-09-26 15:25:37

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Even better: An android copy of Martha Wayne warped 100+ years into the future, then -80 years back. Then de-aged into a male baby. 8)

Oh. My. God.

Who are you?

#24 2006-09-26 19:44:10

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

I really never liked the character of anarky, and down right hated him durring his short on going.  I thought when he first appeared that he could make a good foil to Robin...make him be be the ultimate indepentent supervillian sidekick...or maybe hook up with Ras al ghul as an advance agent.

But anarky as a recurring villian for the Question?  Well, he'd need a really good post Infinite Crisis revamp IMO. lol

Sorry to those of you who really like the character.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#25 2006-10-12 23:45:03

DarkKnightJRK
Website

While I wouldn't mind Vic's family ties coming to light at some point, I wouldn't want him to be linked to any pre-established characters -- that would most likely come across as contrived.

Yeah, I actually have an idea with that--which I would put out as soon as I become a major comic book writer and can get my grubby hands on No-Face. big_smile

Board footer