The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2006-06-26 19:31:51

Spider-Gamer
Website

Who else has been reading this comic? I wish it would show The Question more in it, but in a way I am glad he is not. 8)

By the way, is this in the right fourm? I know it features The Question in it, but does it belong here or on the comic talk fourm. sad

"What is character? Is it in your blood or can it be learned? Is it obvious or is it
impossible to define? Will you recognize it if you see it? Not if you have to ask."

#2 2006-06-26 19:49:41

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Re: 52

I'm buying it too, and I concur that the Q? should be in it more. Sadly, the Montoya/Q?/lesbian Batwoman subplot is the one I'm finding least interesting. Here's hoping it picks up in the next few weeks.

Also, did you see on the news page that Waid / Bennett are doing a Question origin story for 52 #18? I worry that this will conflict with the coming O'Neil novel, and then we'll be in a mess.

Also also, have you been looking at the Giffen breakdowns on 52thecomic.com? They're in Shockwave format...I'm going to ask Giffen next week if there's another way to get these that makes them easier to display.

--Eric

#3 2006-06-26 21:08:37

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

I am enjoying 52 very much, but have the same problems with the plot following The Question. However numbers would point to a more significant role in the future.

Montoya seems to be coming in contact with the number 52 the most, by my unorderly count.

I'm looking forward to issue 18 as well.

Who are you?

#4 2006-06-26 22:01:51

Spider-Gamer
Website

Issue 18 goes on sale around September 6, which is before the novel if I remember correctly. I guess when we read the comic we have to look over the book description again to see if it is somewhat the same. Something tells me it won't and that the novel will be out of DC's continuity. I hope that is not the case.

"What is character? Is it in your blood or can it be learned? Is it obvious or is it
impossible to define? Will you recognize it if you see it? Not if you have to ask."

#5 2006-07-02 07:55:50

Carter
takes a punch with style
Website

Infinite Crisis left me fairly tired of DCU's core writers and their personal taste in the DCU, but no harm, no foul, it's just picture books. However, I have been buying 52 to keep up with Vic Sage. I'm also enjoying the Steel and Black Adam storylines. Of course, I think Steel was one of DC's better characters of recent history (along with, yes, Cassandra Cain), and I hope he rises to prominence in the DCU.

"Art is about our fourth survival priority. And one can only assume that it therefore must have importance." - Alan Moore

#6 2006-07-05 20:58:38

DirtKobain

I like Q's handling in 52, interesting chemistry with Montoya.But the whole Batwoman thing is kind of annoying, I liked Cassandra Cain alot too. think of her connection to Shiva and tell me you don't see more possibilities involving The Question.

And yeah, can't wait to see what direction they take Steel and Black Adam in. Kind of enjoying the Booster Gold storyline too.

#7 2006-07-05 21:01:17

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Dirt --

Glad to see you followed my advice in coming here! More stuff will be up on the pages soon, I promise.

In the meantime...is there anyway you could dig up that article and transcribe the relevant paragraphs for the news page of the site?

--Eric

#8 2006-07-05 21:12:36

DirtKobain

whats up Eric.
what article were you speaking of?

#9 2006-07-05 21:50:32

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Eek! Sorry...posted in the wrong topic. I meant the one you reference here:

I hope Lee and Miller stick with putting him into All Star Batman like Lee mentioned back in a Wizard issue.

#10 2006-07-06 04:48:00

SlightlyMad

I think Steel was one of DC's better characters of recent history

Do you have Steel #38? It came out in 1997, has a team-up between Q & Steel & art by Denys Cowan.

The Question was the main reason for my buying 52 (I met Greg Rucka at a signing a few months ago at a signing where he assured me that the Question he writes is always the Denis O'Neil version), but it also features some of my other favourites: Black Adam, Lex Luthor & Animal Man.

I was really hoping to see the Question mixing it up with some of Gotham's crazies (a rematch with the Riddler in particular), but it seems we're just going to see him in a mentor/guide role to Renee like he was to the Huntress in Cry for Blood.

#11 2006-07-06 18:05:28

nerium
Artist in Residence
Website

I have to say it was a big hope of mine, given Greg Rucka, and Q being in 52 and the arch that's just ending in the main bat-books that Question would have a run in with Two-Face over the course of 52, since Harv is supposed to be watching over Gotham in the meantime.

Rucka did some cool stuff with Harv in the No Man's Land stuff, (and I pestered him about it to no end over at Next Planet Over back in the day), but just the idea Two-Face - Question, just as a sight gag, appealed to me. Plus I imagine it'd be slightly uncomfortable between Dent and Montoya.

Doesn't look like they're really going to address this at all given Harv's somewhat lackluster retcon in the Face 2 Face arc. *sighs*

"Where's the beer?"
-Nero Wolfe

#12 2006-07-06 18:44:28

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

If by lackluster retcon you mean...

(Apparently the spoiler tag DOESN'T work so well. I'll fix it next time I'm home. Swipe below for Face 2 Face spoilers.)

...his needlessly (storywise and DC-organization-wise) killing tons of interesting Batman villains.

I'd like to see The Q? / Two-Face / Human Target.

If you didn't read Human Target, you're really missing out.

So what did you guys think of Vic's appearance in 52 this week? Try to either make the font color white or be sorta spoiler free until I get this stupid PHPBB function working.

--Eric

#13 2006-07-06 19:21:24

nerium
Artist in Residence
Website

A quote tag with white text should work well:

Spoilers On Face 2 Face: I thought the entire premise of Harv becoming Two-Face again was rather weakly executed. Lazy writing, or just no one really around willing to make that a heavy transition in the bat-world... It underminded the entire the element of rehibilitation potential that I always thought Harv had in spades given his origin. I think he has a lot more potential than ever gets used.

I'll have to check out the Human Target, and I'm slow this week on my books so I'll grab 52 this weekend.

"Where's the beer?"
-Nero Wolfe

#14 2006-07-06 20:05:13

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Okay...I made a new thread here to address the Human Target. Basically he's another faces/identity/meaning sort of character.

--Eric

#15 2006-07-07 16:19:29

DirtKobain

Eek! Sorry...posted in the wrong topic. I meant the one you reference here:

I hope Lee and Miller stick with putting him into All Star Batman like Lee mentioned back in a Wizard issue.

oh, that. it's Wizard #161, it had sketches of Batman and Robin drafts he had done before settling on their designs. He also did sketches of characters he might possibly include, which had Superman ( i think) but definite sketches of The Question and Green Arrow. All I could find were the Batman and Robin ones.

http://www.legionsofgotham.org/COMICSal … ETCHES.jpg

His drawing of The Question was a pretty straight forward depiction, nothing different about him. Although he mentioned that he would like to keep the character in the shadows if he appeared to intensify his mysteriousness.

#16 2006-07-07 19:58:33

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Okay...as soon as I get back to somewhere where I can correct my Paypal info, I'm getting this from E-Bay.

In the meantime, a Jim Lee Q? was one of many just added to the gallery.

--Eric

#17 2006-07-08 20:22:01

Spider-Gamer
Website

So what did you guys think of Vic's appearance in 52 this week? Try to either make the font color white or be sorta spoiler free until I get this stupid PHPBB function working.

--Eric

I liked it. It was funny that he went inside a lesbian bar to talk to Montoya. It was also cool that he showed her his face finally! I must say it is great to see him again after being absent for so many issues!

#18 2006-07-29 12:11:05

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

52 is easily my favorite current comic, if your not reading it here are
6 good reasons to do so right now!!!

1. Greg Rucka
2. Geoff Johns
3. Grant Morrison
4. Mark Waid
5. The Question
6. Did I mention The Question?

Since a death is coming up soon in 52, who does everyone think will die?

Who are you?

#19 2006-07-29 12:54:32

Carter
takes a punch with style
Website

Since a death is coming up soon in 52, who does everyone think will die?

I don't know, and it's tearing me up. They released that teaser image a while ago with Diana's sword, Bruce's cowl, and Clark's cape. Behind were, if I recall, Q?, Renee, Booster, Ralph Dibny, and Steel. Is that right? The art for Ralph was odd, not distinct, and it could be Jimmy Olsen. But given how 52's progressed, it's Olsen. I'm just surprised Black Adam was included on that promo image.

DC supposedly said one of the characters on that promo would die. So my bet's on Q?, sadly. Booster's being set up to be a big character, and has been since Infinite Crisis. Renee's new, and you don't promote a Lesbian alcoholic cop to book star if you intend to off her. Seems like a bad P.R. Beyond that, from a storytelling angle, hasn't Montoya suffered enough? Her partner was shot, she left her job, her girlfriend left her, she's progressively worse in her drinking, Hell erurped in Gotham during Crisis, etc.

Killing Ralph would be insane, especially after Infinite Crisis. I could see them pulling Ralph walking willingly into the afterlife to be with Sue, though, and that'd technically be a death.

Why bring back Steel to kill him? Also, Steel's one of those DC characters I'd love to see in the top tier. I'd hate to see him go.

So I'm worried Q? is out, replaced by Montoya as the new Question.

"Art is about our fourth survival priority. And one can only assume that it therefore must have importance." - Alan Moore

#20 2006-07-29 13:02:51

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Is that the cover of the first issue you're talking about, JBS?

http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/5212_400x600.jpg

I still hold out hope that Rucka wouldn't kill Vic off. But in the same vein, it's a shame to kill off any of them now, because I'm interested in all of them after reading the last 12 issues of 52.

--Eric

#21 2006-07-29 13:06:10

Carter
takes a punch with style
Website

Is that the cover of the first issue you're talking about, JBS?

http://www.dccomics.com/media/covers/5212_400x600.jpg

That's it!

And you're right, I don't want any of the characters offed. I think they chose some of my favorite non-top-tier characters and are doing wonders with them.

#22 2006-07-29 15:56:23

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Ok Im going to put up a URL that some might find a spoiler.

Make what you will of it.

ok so it's two urls...

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5751

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5752

Who are you?

#23 2006-07-29 15:57:13

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Also, it looks as if DC plans on using http://www.dccomics.com/sites/52/ to give everyone clues on the future of 52.

Who are you?

#24 2006-07-29 16:17:19

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Honestly, I'd use those covers to rule out the potential deaths of Steel's daughter and Booster. Red herrings, I think.

I'd feel better if they had a cover with a gravestone that said Vic Sage and Green Arrow crying over the grave.

--Eric

#25 2006-07-29 16:42:57

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

When I first saw the Steel cover, I thought it was to obvious, the same thing with Booster, but I think that Booster makes sense.

If he in fact broke time, wouldn't you kill him?

On that note, what does everyone think about the whole Rip Hunter's lab scene, and what it means?

Who are you?

Board footer