The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2007-03-05 19:54:49

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

Showcase 95 #3

I just got this issue off ebay for a few cents and it arrived today...a pretty neat Question story by O'neil and art by Rick Bruchett (who later would illustrate Batman Huntress: Cry for Blood).

I think I like that the plot thread of Vic never finding out anything about his parents and it now being permently left unresolved (due to a slight case of death)...it added to his character. 

I would be OK if it is something that is explored by Montoya Q as something she does for Vic in tribute (getting the answer to his ultimate Question)...as long as it doesn't turn out stupid like his Dad is the Joker or other such avenue of crap.

Anyway...back on topic title, those of you who have this issue, what do you think of it?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#2 2007-03-06 01:08:51

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Re: Showcase 95 #3

I liked it, although it gave me a headache trying to figure out where this fell in the timeline between the Annuals and The Question Returns. Did Vic come back, leave, come back, leave again, and come back again? What?

Also, I'd never like to know who Vic's parents are, ever. I think it's best left unanswered.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#3 2007-03-06 04:48:26

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Also, I'd never like to know who Vic's parents are, ever. I think it's best left unanswered.

Agreed.
As for the story, I would say it actually takes place before The Question #1.
I got a while back and really liked it, both story and art. The other two stories in the issue (Eradicator and... Klaw, was it?)sucked, though  lol

#4 2007-03-06 13:12:24

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

You know, I've never even read the other two stories in the issue.

And I never thought about it occuring before The Question #1; that would make a lot more sense. I just figured it occured after the regular series because Hub City was never really that crime-ridden until after Myra became mayor.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#5 2007-03-15 06:43:10

walkwithcrowds

Yeah, I quite liked it as well.
It was only a (what was it, eight page?) short filler but it was enjoyable.
I never really thought about where it fitted chronologically but Gabos idea that it took place before the series seems okay.
Except, I can't remember, did Vic have long hair in the story?  If he did then I would place it after he had "trained" with Richard.  I can't see him going for the hippy look before Richard mellowed him out.  He seemed to be too uptight and into the whole "macho" thing.
Saying that, in the flashback when he was given drugs at school, he had long hair but that was probably a "sign of the times" fashion thing.

Be Lucky

#6 2007-03-23 08:54:46

walkwithcrowds

I dug this out and re-read it.
It is still very enjoyable - especially as it is only a ten page story.
As to the "question" of chronology I think it IS set before the series.
Vic has (reasonably) short hair and he says to the trucker, giving him a lift, that this will be the first time he has been back to the orphanage.

Like I said, a good little story and well worth tracking down.

Be Lucky

Board footer