The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....
  • Index
  •  » Q? at DC
  •  » Didio answers Promo pic questions on Newsarama

#1 2007-01-31 11:12:25

dcbebop

Didio answers Promo pic questions on Newsarama

Here is the link:
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=99665

No big surprises here that most of it was double-talk with no real answers given.  But I thought question number 19 was interesting...

19) Why are all the dead characters melting/phasing into the ground?

DD: Symbolic in nature, the ground gave up the bodies but not completely as to confuse anyone that these characters might return.

Not sure what that means but, Oookay.... =/

#2 2007-01-31 12:13:52

Byrd68

Re: Didio answers Promo pic questions on Newsarama

Edit: I think he means exactly what he says.  The dead guys are just dead.  They're symbols.

#3 2007-02-03 02:32:27

Jazz Noir
Website

Edit: I think he means exactly what he says.  The dead guys are just dead.  They're symbols.

I'm sure they said the same thing about Jason Todd...

'Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions' - Voltaire.

'There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future.' - Vagrant Story.

#4 2007-02-05 12:44:19

Byrd68

Yes, but according to the new continuity (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Jason Todd was never Robin just wanted to be Robin...and the guy who killed Batman's parents, Joe Chill, was arrested and prosecuted...and if I understand this right...Superman arrived on Earth 60+ years ago(?), was never Superboy but used his powers to help people...Right...?

#5 2007-02-05 13:23:33

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Yes, but according to the new continuity (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Jason Todd was never Robin just wanted to be Robin...

Really? WTF? And then who is the Robin that the Joker killed?

#6 2007-02-05 13:47:20

Byrd68

Yes, but according to the new continuity (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Jason Todd was never Robin just wanted to be Robin...

Really? WTF? And then who is the Robin that the Joker killed?

I haven't been following Batman I just pick up bits and pieces here and there so I don't know for sure...did the Joker kill anyone?  I'm pretty sure (though I don't have it here) that there's a reference to it in Infinite Crisis and if not there then I must have read it on Newsarama or CBR or something.

#7 2007-02-05 14:48:13

dcbebop

He was still Robin and was killed by the joker, they didn't change that at all.

#8 2007-02-05 15:38:41

Byrd68

He was still Robin and was killed by the joker, they didn't change that at all.

Are you sure...I thought I read (and I probably did I just have the context wrong) but if you're sure.

#9 2007-02-05 16:53:06

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

I read everything Batman, and I haven't heard of this continuity change before reading your post.  If DC did make the change, it hasn't been reflected in any of the Jason todd post IC appearances that I can tell.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#10 2007-02-06 11:07:35

dcbebop

I think I know what you are refering too now.  Geoff Johns in Infinite crisis almost made him the Earth 2 Jason Todd, who stumbled upon the Bat cave after Batman had been murdered and therefore was never Robin.  This idea didn't pan out apparently

#11 2007-02-06 11:17:27

Byrd68

I think I know what you are refering too now.  Geoff Johns in Infinite crisis almost made him the Earth 2 Jason Todd, who stumbled upon the Bat cave after Batman had been murdered and therefore was never Robin.  This idea didn't pan out apparently

You're probably right.  I'm right about the Superman change though, it's covered in the "Up, Up, And AwayL 1 Year Later story Arc.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

And I thought that 50+ years of unaltered continuity was confusing.

#12 2007-03-01 00:43:13

The Xenos
Website

There was some interesting bits at the New York comic con.  At the DC Nation panel they had an interesting question and answer session.  Aside from Didio's interesting reaction to Jason Todd as Red Robin and Barry Allen as Flash that is.

There was this interesting question from.. The Question.

" Fan dressed as Question: Why did you kill me? Giffen: "You told us to."""

from http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/2007/DC/DCNation.html

Hmmm.. interesting. I'm hoping this means he faked it, but you never know. (Isn't that always the way with the guy?)

Also, I want to see photos of this guy's costume. For some reason I get the feeling that whoever that was may already post on this site.  Hell, might be the guy in the fanfilm.  I reconized other fanfilm actors from that group in photos from the con.

#13 2007-03-01 04:40:02

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. I would like to hear what Rucka thinks about Vic's death.

#14 2007-03-01 13:48:29

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

There was some interesting bits at the New York comic con.  At the DC Nation panel they had an interesting question and answer session.  Aside from Didio's interesting reaction to Jason Todd as Red Robin and Barry Allen as Flash that is.

There was this interesting question from.. The Question.

" Fan dressed as Question: Why did you kill me? Giffen: "You told us to."""

from http://www.newsarama.com/NYCC/2007/DC/DCNation.html

Hmmm.. interesting. I'm hoping this means he faked it, but you never know. (Isn't that always the way with the guy?)

Also, I want to see photos of this guy's costume. For some reason I get the feeling that whoever that was may already post on this site.  Hell, might be the guy in the fanfilm.  I reconized other fanfilm actors from that group in photos from the con.

Yeah but after that Question screams "It was Cadmus!" I laughed and cried (on the inside).

Who are you?

#15 2007-03-03 04:44:29

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Some relevant questions posted on newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/WonderCon/2007/DCNation.html
"Pointing to the dead Question image in the Countdown teaser image, Didio said that’s his only appearance that will be coming out after 52.

A collected edition of the O’Neil/Cowan Question series? Wayne: “We’ll see.”

I don't know what the first answer means... by the way, have you noticed that the dead bodies in the teaser image feature the characters in exactly the same way they died? Poor Ted's head is shot, Max Lord has his neck snapped, and Jade's body was in that same state when she died. However, Vic definitely wasn't wearing the mask and trenchcoat when he died...

#16 2007-03-03 09:00:39

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

Some relevant questions posted on newsarama:

A collected edition of the O’Neil/Cowan Question series? Wayne: “We’ll see.”

There's hope?  8)
I would love to get some sort of write in campaign started.

#17 2007-03-03 12:55:31

dcbebop

I don't know what the first answer means... by the way, have you noticed that the dead bodies in the teaser image feature the characters in exactly the same way they died? Poor Ted's head is shot, Max Lord has his neck snapped, and Jade's body was in that same state when she died. However, Vic definitely wasn't wearing the mask and trenchcoat when he died...

Yeah I pointed this out to a couple of friends too.  Also he is lying in a pool of blood looking like he is ripped in half...

My theory was it is a "cover up" image.  That they placed a fake image of him over the body of someone else to throw us off the scent of who really dies.  They have done that before.

#18 2007-03-04 05:35:59

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Yeah I pointed this out to a couple of friends too.  Also he is lying in a pool of blood looking like he is ripped in half...

My theory was it is a "cover up" image.  That they placed a fake image of him over the body of someone else to throw us off the scent of who really dies.  They have done that before.

Yes, it could be the case. In the latest Newsarama article about the con, Didio says that everything in the image is important, including how the characters are colored, what they are wearing...
He also says:

"What made you decide to replace the Question? Didio: That was always set from the beginning of 52. "

Which really doesn't answer the question, does it?

#19 2007-03-04 06:36:29

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

"What made you decide to replace the Question? Didio: That was always set from the beginning of 52. "

With the amount of lead time it takes to produce 52, an unfortunate side effect is that the writters don't get to see something like the Montoya-Vic dynamic gel with fans in time to change course from what they set out to do.  If their relationship developed over a monthly and fans were able to get their favorable input heard, the writter(s) might of had time to "stay the execution" since they discovered that they created something better than simply a replacement.

#20 2007-03-04 11:38:30

Jazz Noir
Website

With the amount of lead time it takes to produce 52, an unfortunate side effect is that the writters don't get to see something like the Montoya-Vic dynamic gel with fans in time to change course from what they set out to do.  If their relationship developed over a monthly and fans were able to get their favorable input heard, the writter(s) might of had time to "stay the execution" since they discovered that they created something better than simply a replacement.

I think this is a very astute point. I was totally going to say it first wink

'Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions' - Voltaire.

'There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future.' - Vagrant Story.

#21 2007-03-04 19:03:44

The Xenos
Website

by the way, have you noticed that the dead bodies in the teaser image feature the characters in exactly the same way they died? Poor Ted's head is shot, Max Lord has his neck snapped, and Jade's body was in that same state when she died. However, Vic definitely wasn't wearing the mask and trenchcoat when he died...

To me, it's an iconic image. It's not supposed to be literal.  I'm kinda used to this looking at religious icons. They have imagery that is more symbolic than a literal representation of events.  I think this is a similar image. This scene isn't literally what happened or happens, but it represents what is going on.

Also, here's an interesting bit of a panel from Wondercon.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ … gi?id=9870

When asked about the future of the Question, specifically if he will he ever return, Didio mentioned that a group of writers had a hit list that is over 3 years old of characters they wanted to build up possibly and then kill. Didio then said “I was told one of the worst ideas I had ever had was to kill Nightwing."

Didio really gets his jollies from dicking around with us on the fate of our favorite characters, doesn't he?

Also, I was preparing my pitchforks if he really did off Nightwing.  Then again, the way this Jason Todd crap and his One Year Later book went, I was ready with them too.  Ugh. Thankfully that character is back on track.  Still waiting on Batgirl.  Wonder Woman's not looking good right now either.

As for Vic.  Ugh. Who the hell knows? It really is one big question mark.

#22 2007-03-05 04:40:52

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

This may seem odd, but I actually agree with Didio that Nightwing should have been killed. It pisses me off that characters like him and Batwoman are still going on while Vic is dead...
I still want to hear what Rucka says about all this. Wasn't he the biggest Question fan and blah blah blah?

#23 2007-03-06 18:47:45

rinhaak
Website

This may seem odd, but I actually agree with Didio that Nightwing should have been killed.

Off Nightwing?  No way.  I'm still waiting for Dick to take over Bruce Wayne's Batman mantle.

#24 2007-03-06 21:38:03

The Xenos
Website

While I'm not for offing him, I dunno about Dick taking over for Bruce as Batman.

Anyway, on another board someone reposted the image of Rip Hunter's chalkboard of craziness.

One of the cribblings was:
"Don't ask the Question. It lies."

[URL=http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dc52board14542my9.jpg]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3521/dc52board14542my9.th.jpg[/URL]
(click for larger image)

Hmmm..  Well considering all the blatant lies and half truthes DC has said about 52, even if they said Vic is dead, it doesn't mean much.

#25 2007-03-07 08:46:21

Byrd68

Didn't I see somewhere a Monitor or someone saying that Dick (or actually Nightwing) should be dead?

• Index
  •  » Q? at DC
  •  » Didio answers Promo pic questions on Newsarama

Board footer