The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2006-12-01 16:11:12

Byrd68

Print the Question

Here's one for you...

#2 2006-12-02 01:08:44

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Re: Print the Question

No more DCU Question whatsoever, and re-start Vic back to his Ditkoian hard-edged journalist roots in Vertigo. It's only proper.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#3 2006-12-02 06:35:16

Sai

If Vic does die (and he's not dead yet) I wouldn't want to see a new version of the Question in any form, at least not for a while. It would kind of lessen the impact of him dying if you could see him in a new Vertigo series so soon after he kicks the bucket. And to me, Vic Sage is the Question, and I have trouble picturing anyone else wearing the same trench coat and fedora in the DCU.

#4 2006-12-02 17:54:11

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

Agree with Flash 100%. Though, if they decided to base Vic around the O'neil version of the character (which would make no sense as we've already had a good 36 issues of him) it'd be cool to have someone like Rorschach or Mr. A as the main villain to counter-balance "Charlie"'s perspective.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#5 2006-12-02 19:49:41

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

That could be really interesting.

Actually, if we had 'Charlie' Q, we could flat-out throw Mr. A in there. Not so much as a villian, but more as Question's dark half. A suited vigilante who's not afraid to take a life if he judges it neccessary. He'd make a fairly interesting anti-hero, and there could be a good uneasy dynamic between the two characters.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#6 2006-12-02 21:58:16

Byrd68

If Vic does die (and he's not dead yet) I wouldn't want to see a new version of the Question in any form, at least not for a while. It would kind of lessen the impact of him dying if you could see him in a new Vertigo series so soon after he kicks the bucket. And to me, Vic Sage is the Question, and I have trouble picturing anyone else wearing the same trench coat and fedora in the DCU.

They wouldn't have to wear the trench coat and fedora.

The only part of the "costume" that would have to stay the same would be the mask.

#7 2006-12-02 22:01:24

Byrd68

That could be really interesting.

Actually, if we had 'Charlie' Q, we could flat-out throw Mr. A in there. Not so much as a villian, but more as Question's dark half. A suited vigilante who's not afraid to take a life if he judges it neccessary. He'd make a fairly interesting anti-hero, and there could be a good uneasy dynamic between the two characters.

This is good.  O'Neil's Question and Ditko's Mr. A.  That would make a good 6-8 issue mini.

#8 2006-12-04 08:01:30

Outsider

Why does it have to be Vertigo? It isn't 1993 anymore -- it is possible to do an intelligent, mature-without-being-Mature comic in the main DCU.

Sure, I can't think of one at the moment, but...

I've always hated the perceived notion of "mature superhero = Vertigo". Grell's Green Arrow wasn't a Vertigo title, for example.[/i]

#9 2006-12-04 09:00:36

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I think those of us who want to see a Q? Vertigo book desire this for three main reasons:

1. If Vic dies, you can still set stories there in the past, ala Sandman Mystery Theatre, which they probably won't let you do in the DCU proper.

2. If Vic's at Vertigo, he won't have to worry about being caught up in DC continuity anymore; no crossovers with Invasion II every summer, no organization-oriented minor details clogging up the storytelling works.

3. Vertigo books, for the most part, seem to be consistently good. Whereas DCU books for the most part don't.

#10 2006-12-04 09:12:42

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

I think those of us who want to see a Q? Vertigo book desire this for three main reasons:

1. If Vic dies, you can still set stories there in the past, ala Sandman Mystery Theatre, which they probably won't let you do in the DCU proper.

2. If Vic's at Vertigo, he won't have to worry about being caught up in DC continuity anymore; no crossovers with Invasion II every summer, no organization-oriented minor details clogging up the storytelling works.

3. Vertigo books, for the most part, seem to be consistently good. Whereas DCU books for the most part don't.

Indeed. Plus, the O'Neil series would have been Vertigo if Vertigo had existed back then. I don't know why the hell they didn't publish the Veitch mini under Vertigo. Maybe because Superman appeared?

#11 2006-12-04 09:22:11

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

I don't know why the hell they didn't publish the Veitch mini under Vertigo. Maybe because Superman appeared?

I still say they reprint it in a trade as "All Star Question"...that way DC can get over their continuity hangups with the story, which is their reason for not collecting it if I followed that behind the scenes drama correctly. roll

seems easy, but I still don't understand why Alex Ross' JUSTICE series is not an ALL STAR book, other than I think it has to do with editors being territorial.

I think JLU and 52 has shown that Q has a viable place in the DCU propper.  IMO, he didn't interact enough.  I absolutely would have loved a story arc durring Luthor's tenure of being President of Q being recruited to investigate him.  We could have gotten some good DCU political drama there.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#12 2006-12-04 12:49:56

Byrd68

Why does it have to be Vertigo? It isn't 1993 anymore -- it is possible to do an intelligent, mature-without-being-Mature comic in the main DCU.

Sure, I can't think of one at the moment, but...

I've always hated the perceived notion of "mature superhero = Vertigo". Grell's Green Arrow wasn't a Vertigo title, for example.[/i]

I'm not sugggesting Mature (though Q could do well in that format), I'm suggesting outside the DCU.  Grell's Green Arrow probably would have been at Vertigo but I don't think it was around then.

#13 2006-12-04 12:50:50

Byrd68

Indeed. Plus, the O'Neil series would have been Vertigo if Vertigo had existed back then. I don't know why the hell they didn't publish the Veitch mini under Vertigo. Maybe because Superman appeared?

I agree with both Eric and Gabo.

#14 2006-12-04 13:33:13

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

[/i]

It brings prestige and would bring attention from Vertigo fans, who would have liked stuff like the Veitch mini but maybe didn't give it a chance because it was in the DCU.

#15 2006-12-05 07:23:23

Outsider

I know this is a foreign concept to DCU editors right now, but not all crossovers have to be line-wide. The O'Neil series coexisted with at least two of these crossovers (Millenium and Invasion, if I recall correctly), neither of which conflicted with the Question series.

The only crossovers were the Annuals, and those crossed over with like-minded series, Green Arrow and... er... Detective Comics.

I'm preaching to the choir here, I know, but I despise enforced crossovers. It's one of the things that convinced me to quit reading the DCU.

#16 2006-12-05 07:29:19

Outsider

Indeed. Plus, the O'Neil series would have been Vertigo if Vertigo had existed back then.

I disagree. I don't know how many of you were reading DC around the time that Vertigo started up, but the line was not a case of "let's take all of our good books and put them under a separate imprint." The original Vertigo "crossover" books had a certain style -- a "weirdness" for lack of a better term -- that the mainstream DC books didn't have. Sandman, Shade The Changing Man, Hellblazer, Doom Patrol.

Despite the mature tone and philosophical underlay, Question was a martial arts book. It would not have fit in with Vertigo back then.

(Since then, the line has expanded to include books like Scene of the Crime, 100 Bullets, and Human Target, so I'm not saying a Question book wouldn't fit in with Vertigo today. All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be Vertigo in order to be good.)

#17 2006-12-05 07:30:37

Outsider

Grell's Green Arrow probably would have been at Vertigo but I don't think it was around then.

Nitpicking point -- it was around then, and it was not made a Vertigo book for reasons I detail above.

#18 2006-12-05 07:34:44

Outsider

Okay, let me give you all a similar example of a mature-themed book starring a longstanding DCU character. After a failed attempt to "Vertigo"-ize the book (as is being suggested here), the character was recently brought back in a DC-branded title with no interaction with the mainstream DCU.

Jonah Hex.

Not Vertigo, but mature, respected, and selling better than the average Vertigo book.

(Yes, there are appearances by other DC characters, but Bat Lash and El Diablo fit in with Hex's era -- like Green Arrow appearing in Question. It's not the same thing as Green Lantern showing up.)

#19 2006-12-05 09:43:32

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

The original Vertigo "crossover" books had a certain style -- a "weirdness" for lack of a better term -- that the mainstream DC books didn't have. Sandman, Shade The Changing Man, Hellblazer, Doom Patrol.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't have to be Vertigo in order to be good.)

Of course not. But it would help.
And anyway, there were always titles like Sandman Mystery Theatre which weren't "weird" but fitted well within the line. And apart from that, the Veitch mini did have that Vertigo-esque weirdness.

#20 2006-12-05 12:06:38

Byrd68

Okay, let me give you all a similar example of a mature-themed book starring a longstanding DCU character. After a failed attempt to "Vertigo"-ize the book (as is being suggested here), the character was recently brought back in a DC-branded title with no interaction with the mainstream DCU.

Jonah Hex.

Not Vertigo, but mature, respected, and selling better than the average Vertigo book.

(Yes, there are appearances by other DC characters, but Bat Lash and El Diablo fit in with Hex's era -- like Green Arrow appearing in Question. It's not the same thing as Green Lantern showing up.)

I'm not completely sure what is meant by "Vertigo-izing" a title (though if I do understand it The Question mini already did that), and I don't know what it's sales are but the new "Warlord" is a good book on the DC imprint.  Again, I'm not suggesting that a good book can't be done at DC, I'm suggesting a Question outside the DCU (and outside the Vertigo-verse).

I don't believe that the fact that The Question was a "martial arts book" (and I'm not sure I completely agree with that),  I think that when a title is at at DC there is too much temtation to bring it into the multi-title crossovers, at putting it at Vertigo would remove that temptation.

I also realize that this would also eliminate the chances for crossovers with like minded titles (Batman, Detective, Green Arrow), but like Sandman Mystery Theater's Wesley Dobbs, Sandman's Death, and The Doom Patrol he might make appearances in DCU titles.

I think part of the problem with this discussion is that NONE of us really know (and I don't think they do at DC either) what exactly a Vertigo title is.  The Mr. E mini was at DC but The Books of Magic was at Vertigo.  The last Spectre series was on the DC imprint, The Kid Eternity mini was at DC but the series was at Vertigo.  100 Bullets isn't a supernatural book with any weirdness and it's not in the "Vertigo-verse".

Just did a quick bit of research:  Vertigo was established in 1993.  The Mike Grell Green Arrow in 1987.  V for Vendetta was at DC but was retroactively claimed by Vertigo as was House of Mystery.  Transmetropolitan was at Helix (a DC imprint) but was moved to Vertigo.

I just noticed that some of the stuff I just ranted about Gabo mentioned.

#21 2006-12-05 14:29:40

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

...I don't know what it's sales are but the new "Warlord" is a good book on the DC imprint.

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but Warlord has been canceled...ironically the DC direct figure of the modern version of the character is still coming...about 6 months after the final issue. :?

#22 2006-12-05 15:04:13

Byrd68

...I don't know what it's sales are but the new "Warlord" is a good book on the DC imprint.

Hate to be the barer of bad news, but Warlord has been canceled...ironically the DC direct figure of the modern version of the character is still coming...about 6 months after the final issue. :?

What issue?

And that doesn't mean that it's not a good book.

#23 2006-12-05 16:36:58

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I've been thinking more on this, and I think the real reason to move to Vertigo, that maybe sums up all of my previous points, is that I trust the writers, artists and editors who work for the imprint more than I do those who work for the mainstream DCU.

--Eric

#24 2006-12-05 16:58:43

Byrd68

I've been thinking more on this, and I think the real reason to move to Vertigo, that maybe sums up all of my previous points, is that I trust the writers, artists and editors who work for the imprint more than I do those who work for the mainstream DCU.

--Eric

I have to agree with you there.  Not that there isn't plenty of quality talent in the DC pblic pool, but Vertigo's country club means that Vic could avoid the pool and the crowds altogether.

#25 2006-12-05 17:09:26

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

What issue?

And that doesn't mean that it's not a good book.

didn't say it wasn't.

according to wilikipedia:
Modern Series
The new series did not take up where the old one left off but instead restarted the concept and started with Travis Morgan arriving in Skartaris. This reboot was not a success with comicbook readers and the series was cancelled after ten issues. The series left a number of story points unanswered as issue nine finished on a cliff-hanger, while issue ten had a stand-alone story set sometime in the future.

Board footer