The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2006-07-06 04:55:42

SlightlyMad

Favourite Question issue

I would have to say issue #14 of the Denis O'Neil series, that was the issue where, for almost the entire story (except for the last page & one panel on the page before that) he is buried up to his neck! It shows brilliant storytelling ability & has some great dialogue.

How about anyone else?

#2 2006-07-06 06:41:20

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Re: Favourite Question issue

Some from each incarnation:

Ditko Era:
Blue Beetle #5 - Where BB and the Q? team up to fight aesthetic nihilism.
Mysterious Suspense #1 - The only full-length Ditko Q? story. Well executed.
Charlton Bullseye #5 - If only for the beautiful art of the late, great Alex Toth.

O'Neil/Cowan Era:
The Question #5 - I get such a Will Eisner vibe from this story for some reason.
The Question #8 - A classic by any standard.
The Question #16-18 - Borders on meta-fiction, with Rorschach references.
The Question #26 - Redemption for the Riddler.
The Question #33 - The first appearance of the late, great Harold the hunchback.
The Question #36 - Great end to a great run of comics.

The Fables Annuals (Det. Ann. #1, GA Ann. #1, Q? Ann. #1) - A tryptic of parables featuring the three classic O'Neil penned heroes.

Batman/Huntress CFB #6 - Where things don't work out the way they were expected to. Or do they?

Veitch/Edwards Mini-Era:
The whole thing. Every panel of art is breathtakingly gorgeous.

--Eric

#3 2006-07-06 11:40:43

Carter
takes a punch with style
Website

Mysterious Suspense #1 is my favorite of Ditko's era - it's just such an epic story, whether one likes the philosophy or not. It's so unconventional for a "superhero" story. It's very clear from this story that The Question and Vic Sage are just a change of clothes. Clark Kent is, in most incarnations, the timid guise Superman takes to interact with humanity and to relate to those he loves without hero worship. Bruce Wayne is a tool, a man who has changed deep inside to The Batman, but uses his outward personality as a tool to hide his true self and further his war on crime in avenues not open to costumed crusaders. Spider-Man is inherently Peter Parker - the costume allows him to do what he feels is right, and to act with more confidence. But it's a costume - Peter Parker is the true identity.

Of O'Neil and Cowan's run - that's difficult. #8 features the Mikado, one of the best villains of the DCU (who never appeared outside of The Question). O'Neil is a marked liberal and Cowan is known for his work on black characters, but neither was afraid to cast a black man as a dark angel of justice. It's rare to have comic books that are colorblind, but The Question by O'Neil and Cowan was just that - they chose characters to fit the stories, not to pursue a politically correct agenda. They knew that evil and corruption were colorblind, and that good men (from Mikado to Izzy O'Toole to Sage himself) will sometimes make terrible choices. #36 is in context of the whole series a heartbreaking, perfect issue.

I also enjoyed the generally lackluster storyline that introduced Vic in the Blue Beetle revival series of the eighties, becaues the arc featured Vic wisecracking with Ted, and also showed him walking non-chalantly out of the Blue Beetle's Bug and using gymnastic prowess to navigate the several-story drop to the street, mentally noting his desire to maintain his mysterious rep.

"Art is about our fourth survival priority. And one can only assume that it therefore must have importance." - Alan Moore

#4 2006-07-06 13:27:43

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

and also showed him walking non-chalantly out of the Blue Beetle's Bug and using gymnastic prowess to navigate the several-story drop to the street, mentally noting his desire to maintain his mysterious rep.

And surprised that he lived through it! That Vic Sage...what a character.

--Eric

#5 2006-07-06 17:57:48

nerium
Artist in Residence
Website

I'm particularly fond of the Mini series myself and seems like I was beaten to #36 of the O'Neill run. Shucks, I guess we just need more appearances.

"Where's the beer?"
-Nero Wolfe

#6 2006-07-07 16:24:44

DirtKobain

the story with him buried up to his head had great dialogue. definitely one of my faves. and also the one of him jumping out of blue beetles aircraft was definitely badass. personally, i'll always like the issues telling the story of the kid that poured acid all over his face to show his father how tough he was. i got a crack out of the D & D jokes he was making to Renee Montoya in 52 a few issues back too.

#7 2006-07-10 06:28:15

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Hi there, this is my first post here  big_smile  . Congrats on the site by the way, I'm ecstatic there's a Question website at last.

As for my favourite issues of DC's The Question, I will have to say #5, #7, #15, #27 (comics won the war!), the last story arc from 34 to 36, specially the last issue. I also enjoyed the "election day" storyline a lot.

#8 2006-07-10 09:28:10

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Glad to have you here, Gabo! How'd you hear about the site?

--Eric

#9 2006-07-10 09:35:31

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

I found it on google just by chance. I think I was looking for information about the "Thunder over the abyss" TP (I didn't know it had been aborted) and I found the site.
I've added you to my friends at myspace, too!

#10 2006-07-20 15:51:50

HAWkK
The Wallpaper Man

Hey what about The QUESTION RETURNS#1 from  97 .
I like Issue 1 O Neil run  and 6 plus 27  .

#11 2006-07-21 21:27:13

Carter
takes a punch with style
Website

Hey what about The QUESTION RETURNS#1 from  97 .

The return stories after the series ended always filled me with such sadness, even his appearance in Azrael. It was interesting how Vic Sage after his solo series started viewing his vigilante life as a phase he was nearly out of.

"Art is about our fourth survival priority. And one can only assume that it therefore must have importance." - Alan Moore

#12 2006-07-21 22:05:49

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

And I like the amount of maturing he does from the end of his own series to the beginning of Batman/Huntress: CFB, and the new role he takes as mentor to younger heroes.

In some ways, the ends that they're potentially working toward in 52 (Vic training Montoya to be a replacement) were laid early on in that series, and the post-quarteries O'Neil one-shots. Vic won't always be a superhero, the foreshadowing seems to suggest.

Besides, we know this from the introduction to the Death in the Family TPB, featuring the line: "One scholar, Dr. Charles Victor Szasz, of the Hub City Institute for Urban Upheaval Studies, has advanced the theory hat a criminal psychopath known as the Joker actually inflicted a gunshot wound on Grayson during one of those rooftop contretemps which were such a prominent part of The Batman's career."

#13 2006-07-21 22:11:34

Carter
takes a punch with style
Website

Besides, we know this from the introduction to the Death in the Family TPB, featuring the line: "One scholar, Dr. Charles Victor Szasz, of the Hub City Institute for Urban Upheaval Studies, has advanced the theory hat a criminal psychopath known as the Joker actually inflicted a gunshot wound on Grayson during one of those rooftop contretemps which were such a prominent part of The Batman's career."

Ha, I had forgotten about that! An interesting little aside, I must say.

I can't recall if I said it on this board, or on another messageboard, but I wouldn't mind Vic Sage retiring and a new Question arising (I wouldn't prefer it, but life would go on). Killing him just seems so unnecessary.

And then we could have more Vic Sage in the DCU, just as himself.

#14 2006-07-22 09:48:15

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

I haven't read neither The Question Quarterly nor The Question Returns. What are they like?
And in what issue of Azrael does he appear? I might be able to get it.

I haven't read 52 yet too (I think it'll be released in my country next year), but I really don't think they will kill Vic off. What's the point of bringing him back to the forefront after all this time just to kill him?

#15 2006-07-25 16:31:30

HAWkK
The Wallpaper Man

I haven't read neither The Question Quarterly nor The Question Returns. What are they like?
And in what issue of Azrael does he appear? I might be able to get it.

I haven't read 52 yet too (I think it'll be released in my country next year), but I really don't think they will kill Vic off. What's the point of bringing him back to the forefront after all this time just to kill him?

I think too that  Vic will make it  from 52 and we  will see  some more comics  about our enigmatic hero that would  be late?

#16 2006-08-10 16:11:23

walkwithcrowds

Issue #8 of the O'Neil run is probably my favourite.
I enjoyed the whole series and thought it was very thought provoking.  I like stories that make me think and this series did that - especially #8.

The fat guy mistreating his wife and kids was scum, the system didn't do anything about it so the Mikado did.  The difference between him and Vic is in the extremes they go to.  But if Vic had just kicked the guy around a bit he would have just went home and taken it out on his family.  Maybe some day he would have changed - I doubt it, but maybe he would - but is it right for his family to suffer in the meantime?

As Vic, himself, stated - he used to be a "bad guy" but now he has changed and has helped a lot of people.  If somebody had killed him would those people still be here?

Like I said it gives you a lot to think about, and nearly twenty years later I still get a shiver when I remember the line

"Tell me...do you know what the word FLENSE means?"

Be Lucky

#17 2006-08-11 11:34:29

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I have to say I'm very impressed by this lurverly site, as I'm a big time fan of the Question. Anyways, on topic:

I have to agree with several of the other posters here: issue #8 of the O'Neil series was just plane awesome. Does anyone know if the Mikado ever made a return? He was such a weird, original character, I think if they give Vic his own series again the Mikado would be a great recurring villain.
I also loved #3 or #4 of "Devils in the Details", where the Question finally meets Superman. They have such a hilarious little conversation: "Yeah, well, the next time the City starts speaking to you, just say no.".

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#18 2006-08-11 15:06:06

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Welcome to the boards, Mr. A!

As regards #8, if the Mikado doesn't die, what is it that he injects himself? I thought that he had really died, and the fact that his body didn't appear was just one more unsolved question, in keeping with the feeling of the series...

#19 2006-08-11 15:46:41

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I've always wondered about the end of this myself. Maybe we can get Denny on the boards to talk about this when (I'm sorry I'm behind on things guys) I get the Book Club started.

It seems that everyone's in agreement on #8 being one of the best of the series. I've read other people opine elsewhere that a "Best of DC in the 80s" TPB should include this issue as well....

--Eric

#20 2006-08-11 16:46:25

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

Yes, it's a great issue. There are some I like even more, though, like #5 and #36.

#21 2006-08-11 17:02:56

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

#36 is such a climax issue though. It depends on each and every one of the 35  issues that preceded it.

#8 is a nice capsule of what the Question was all about. #5 is great too -- I think (and I may have mentioned this) there's a definite Eisner influence apparent in that issue.

--Eric

#22 2006-08-11 18:42:41

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

In regards to the Mikado's death: We have to bear in mind that he's a doctor, if anyone could fake their own death it would be him. Perhaps what he injected himself with was simply a sort of rapidly acting sedative that would simulate his death. Being a crafty fellow, he would have simply waited for Vic to leave (or go in the back and take a shower), and then made his escape to return some other time. That's the general vibe that I got from the story, it works perfectly on it's own but could really have been the begining of something else.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#23 2006-08-11 19:35:14

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

In regards to the Mikado's death: We have to bear in mind that he's a doctor, if anyone could fake their own death it would be him. Perhaps what he injected himself with was simply a sort of rapidly acting sedative that would simulate his death. Being a crafty fellow, he would have simply waited for Vic to leave (or go in the back and take a shower), and then made his escape to return some other time. That's the general vibe that I got from the story, it works perfectly on it's own but could really have been the begining of something else.

Welcome to the forum, A.

Who are you?

#24 2006-08-13 07:51:53

Gabo
Little Eno
Website

I was thinking about #8... couldn't it be a sort of commentary, on the part of O'Neil, about objectivism? I mean, if the Mikado had only seen in "black and white" terms, maybe he would have killed Vic, and all those lives he saved as The Question would have been lost. Then again, what Vic had done in his past was not so terrible to justify killing him, contrary to the other victims of the Mikado.

#25 2006-09-25 15:27:47

NoFaceGuy

-- The Mikado issue was definitely also one of my favs.
-- The whole Green Arrow crossover which was kicked off with the Rorshach appearance.  The highlight was the Question/ Green Arrow exchange when Ollie was trying to figure out whether or not to trust Vic (and of course it's O'Neil writing GA which warms my heart).
-- The issue about plastic (wasn't Vic rockin' lavender in that ish?)
-- The issue with the Bigot.  Definitely challenging and a lot harder-hitting in its depiction of racism than almost any mainstream comic.
-- The Question Quarterly that was an homage to "Rashomon".
-- I was also blwon away by the art in the recent mini.  Loved the exchanges with Superman, loved how Vic was able to kick ass and barely breaking a sweat, loved how Q was seen as someone who sees things differently than most.  Didn't love the urban shamanism (a bit too quasi-mystical for me), but didn't hate it either.

Board footer