The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#1 2009-10-13 11:00:42

ryumega

Question series "resurrected"

I was looking over what was new at Topless Robot and they make mention of "resurrecting" The Question series in Jan. I was wondering if anyone knew anything more on this: is this the O'Neil series, is it Earth 3 (or something), are they completely reissuing it?

Here is the link to the site.
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/10/com … _worst.php

"Professional liar and avid miss-speller"

#2 2009-10-13 11:26:11

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Re: Question series "resurrected"

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/10/12 … day-night/

I believe THIS should answer your question! I'm sorta iffy on the numbering scheme, but it's a neat idea otherwise. Glad to see a new Starman, too.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#3 2009-10-13 14:13:57

blazingwhitemask

I believe this has to do with Vic coming back for Blackest Night where he will battle Renee Montoya! God, I hope he comes back....

The Question (Vic Sage) + Batman (Bruce Wayne) + Catwoman (Selina Kyle) + Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) = ONE KICK ASS TEAM!

#4 2009-10-13 15:25:27

NoFaceGuy

I'll be glad to see Vic again, even if it is a soulless, Black Lantern Vic.  Could he come back to life after this???  For the first time during "BN" I'm hoping some of the Black Lanterns do return to the land of the living when all's said and done.

#5 2009-10-13 15:31:05

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

It sorta begs the question, though, how many of these guys are involved with Blackest Night to begin with? Has ANYONE seen Jack Knight in the last seven, eight years?

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#6 2009-10-14 10:06:12

Byrd68

Jack Knight will not appear in Starman #81 by James Robinson.

It's The Question #37 by Gregg Rucka, it's a one-shot in continuity.

#7 2009-10-15 07:46:50

NoFaceGuy

If O'Neil were the writer, I imagine Montoya and Vic sitting down and having a long conversation about death... (before Vic tries to rip out her heart)

Last edited by NoFaceGuy (2009-10-15 07:47:16)

#8 2010-02-19 09:30:04

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

So, anyone else buy/read this? Personally, every time I read a comic with Lady Shiva I get a little annoyed. I just can't stand that character! "Inscrutable Eastern warrior-mystic" might've done it pretty well in the seventies, hell, the eighties, but now-a-days she just comes off as a jerk. It smacks more of poor character development than mysticism.
Other than that...  Vic seems pretty out of character, which makes me suspect, like the protagonists do, that it isn't *really* him. I could see the real Vic taking a twisted metaphysical approach to the situation, arguing that there is no difference between life and death, etc., or taking on a more brutal sort of moral self-interest, arguing that he exists on a higher plane now, and eating human souls isn't an act of cruelty, it's a necessity of survival. The whole "rar! You suck at everything!" attitude doesn't strike me as very Question-y. Regardless, it's good to see him again.

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#9 2010-02-26 14:54:26

City(e)Scape

I thought it was pretty good, really. I didn't really care for Tot's characterization, being more concerned with unraveling the secrets of the DC afterlife than seeing Vic again. Hell, Tot can have all of his questions about life and death answered if he can get in touch with Superman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan, Ice, Steve Trevor (and the list goes on).
I agree with Mr. A in that I really wished Vic had gone on a metaphysical diatribe, or tease the living characers a little bit more about life and death ("What do you think happens when you die, Tot?"...that would've been chilling). That would've been much more appetizing than the never-ending one-liners.
I'm not the biggest Lady Shiva fan/expert, but I did like the paradox of her wanting to test her fighting prowess against Vic Sage, Black Lantern or otherwise.
The fight scene stole the show for me, since it seemed to be the main crux of the comic's storyline. I'm not ashamed when I say I had a fanboy moment when Vic says to Shiva, "Bet this really pisses you off, huh?" as he blocks her attacks.
Alot of people complained about the artwork, which isn't so surprising considering that critics have been griping about Cowan for years. I loved it; I think some of his best work has been within the last 17 years. His art lends itself to urban-themed stories and Question 37 was no exception as his pencilling added so much more to the already macabre mood.

#10 2010-02-27 14:53:35

Qman
Website

id be glad to see vic back

I have a ? for you!

#11 2010-03-01 10:13:21

Byrd68

I liked it.  Pencils by Cowan, Inks by Bill Sienkiewicz (who's work I have A) Really missed and B) am so glad to see again)

As for the story - Rucka and O'Neil deliver.  I'm going to have to go back and read may old questions just to see if this Tot jives with that one.

Here's a little bit of geekery - back in the '80s there was a Green Lantern Corps mini in which Nekron self-styled Lord of the Dead or some such (the big bad from Blackest Night) tries to come onto this plain but is forced back by the souls of dead Green Lanterns.  Because even though they're dead, they're still Green Lanterns.

Jump ahead almost 30 years and Nekron's back and he's animating the dead, but not using their souls because apparently he learned his lesson last time.  Yes, this was Vic's Black Lantern Zombie.  No, it was not Vic.

#12 2010-03-12 07:28:35

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

I kinda maybe thought that Nekron was around before due to some comment that someone makes about Kyle running in to him at some point, but I didn't realize there was a mini-series where he was the villain.

Also, I have to say, this was probably my Blackest Night special issue.

City(e)scape, I have to say that I dug Tot's semi-madness. If anything the goal of a Black Lantern is to twist/manipulate of the emotions of their victim to their most extreme point. And unlike the other resurrected books that I picked up, it was interesting to actually get to see them accomplish that in a meaningful/slightly disturbing way.

Who are you?

#13 2010-03-18 00:16:08

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Mr.A wrote:

Other than that...  Vic seems pretty out of character, which makes me suspect, like the protagonists do, that it isn't *really* him.

"Yer 'Smelly' Melly Warder?"

#14 2010-04-08 07:11:53

NoFaceGuy

So, is "The Question" #37 story ending somewhere?? (We didn't see any resolution in "Final Night...)

#15 2010-04-09 10:40:04

Byrd68

I have to admit that I have been remiss and haven't finished Blackest Night, but what I've skimmed doesn't seem to have any resolution, for this story line.  This isn't the only one that indicates a resolution elsewhere.

#16 2012-09-24 13:44:11

NoFaceGuy

This storyline was never resolved was it?

Board footer