Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/include/common.php on line 58

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/include/common.php:58) in /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/header.php on line 31

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/include/common.php:58) in /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/header.php on line 32

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/include/common.php:58) in /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/header.php on line 33

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/include/common.php:58) in /home/spy/vicsage.com/forum/header.php on line 34
The Question / Grant Morrison writing Vic Sage?!?

The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....

#26 2009-05-23 18:12:30

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

Re: Grant Morrison writing Vic Sage?!?

So she started off with this concept of the "virtue of selfishness" and she keeps hammering home how important it is to be selfish, when in fact I think the term is inaccurate, it's associations are unhelpful to what the real driving force is. "Moral self-interest" would be a better term (who said this again? Was it Adam Smith or am I just pulling names out of a hat here?). It is not so much that one can never help another person under Objectivism, but rather that when one does help another, one understands why they did it. You do not help an old lady across the street because you are some kind of non-entity which only exists to be a servant to others, you help an old lady across the street because you are invested in mankind, because you respect your elders, because, FOR YOU, this is the right thing to do, and you could not live with yourself if you did not do what was right.

This has always been my sticking point with Rand too, except that I see too often that her followers wouldn't help the old lady without asking, "What's in it for me?" instead of acknowledging the "investment" (still a loaded term) in mankind. Why not "self-interest"? The choice of "selfish" leads to some problematic moral quandaries for me. I still think there's value to altruism.

#27 2010-09-18 17:03:30

City(e)Scape

Here are a few more tidbits about the newly-dubbed Pax Americana:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/17/ … eedingCool

#28 2012-09-29 19:15:47

NoFaceGuy

MULTIPLICITY IS COMING!!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/grant-m … -2013.html

Man, Vic is making a huge comeback!

#30 2012-11-11 12:47:15

HAWkK
The Wallpaper Man

i will just say lol .This is awesome  and to quote here  second panel "u will forever question your indentity  and forever search for answers  u will never find " .Now i just need a full stack of  this books and something hard to drink like coca-cola and let  apocalypse  rain on my head .

#31 2014-04-16 11:42:58

City(e)Scape

Board footer