The Question

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to the high number of false-bannings lately, I've taken down Akismet, and am opting to manually approve new members. If you're a new member and want to expedite the process of being upgraded in member status, shoot me an email at noface@vicsage.com. I'm hoping to find a better solution in the near future....
  • Index
  •  » Q? at DC
  •  » The Question in All Star Batman & Robin?

#1 2008-09-20 05:10:24

Dr. Steve Brule

The Question in All Star Batman & Robin?

I saw this sketch by Jim Lee a while back and was wondering if their are any plans of The Question apearing in All Star Batman and Robin? I would to see Frank Miller write him again.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3997/allstarbatmangh0.jpg

#2 2008-09-20 07:50:18

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

Re: The Question in All Star Batman & Robin?

Holy s#!T !!!   It's the GodDamn Question!
big_smile

so far there has been no word when Q might appear in the book...then again there is very little info when the title is actually scheduled to come out on any regular basis.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#3 2008-09-20 08:34:45

Eric
Site Administrator
Website

I'm still waiting for that one myself.

For your health!

#4 2008-09-21 09:21:46

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

"Don't you know who I am?!!!"

"Th-the Question?"

"SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!! I ASK THE GODDAMN QUESTIONS AROUND HERE!!!!"

Who are you?

#5 2008-09-21 11:54:35

Izzy O' Toole

"Who do you think you are?"

"What are you dense? are you retarded or something? I'm the goddamn Question"

"Who?"

What would Rudolph say?

#6 2008-09-21 23:04:23

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Izzy O' Toole wrote:

"Who?"

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Who are you?

#7 2008-09-22 15:31:42

Byrd68

Izzy O' Toole wrote:

"Who?"

No.... more like:

"What! Are you a #$%@ing moron or something?  I'm the #$%@ing  Question."

I'd really like to see how Miller would handle Vic in this Batverse... or is it Millerverse... they should just give Miller his own Earth and let him loose... maybe Miller and Ellis and Ennis and Millar....  Forget Morrison (he's great but..) these twisted monkeys... wow... just wow....

With art by Lee and Bisley and Finch and Steadman (except, to my knowledge, he's never done a comic... so maybe just covers)... so... and Quiely....

Sorry, I just went all FANBOY... and there is no medication for that... nor a 12 step program...

#8 2008-10-01 06:01:19

Squashy Josh
Website

I personally hope that The Question never appears in 'All Star Batman & Robin'. For the same reasons I also do not want to see him in '[i]The Batman[i]' cartoon series. *Shudder*

#9 2008-10-02 08:07:42

?
Conspiracy Theorist
Website

Squashy Josh wrote:

I personally hope that The Question never appears in 'All Star Batman & Robin'. For the same reasons I also do not want to see him in '[i]The Batman[i]' cartoon series. *Shudder*

I thought that show had ended....huh.

Who are you?

#10 2008-10-02 09:18:37

Squashy Josh
Website

? wrote:

Squashy Josh wrote:

I personally hope that The Question never appears in 'All Star Batman & Robin'. For the same reasons I also do not want to see him in 'The Batman' cartoon series. *Shudder*

I thought that show had ended....huh.

You're right, it has. I'll changed my statement to: I'm glad The Question never appeared in 'The Batman' cartoon series. smile

#11 2008-10-02 09:27:40

nobody

Miller did use the Question in The Dark Knight strikes again, which i think is "Millerverse" or some approximation of it, or.... i hate this continuity stuff. In any event, i remember Miller brought Q back to his Objectivist roots, but all he did was observe what was going on, write some stuff down, waxed philosophically, argued with Green Arrow and shot at the Joker. Wouldn't surprise me if that version of Q made an appearance.
The more i read of Frank Miller, the less I like him, and he's going to screw up the Spirit movie, and that upsets me.

#12 2008-10-02 12:38:56

Squashy Josh
Website

nobody wrote:

The more i read of Frank Miller, the less I like him

Agreed. I think he has written (and drawn) some amazing work in the past, but now he comes across as a bit of a jerk, really. The man is liquid talent, no doubt, but I think he has lost some of that aas time has gone on. I mean, TDKSA is just bad.

#13 2008-10-02 16:15:09

nobody

I don't know if he's even liquid talent. He has the ability to see potential for darkness in characters, which makes them interesting. Then he takes it too far. His most famous characters are sociopathic fascists that he turns into heroes. He did the same thing with Batman. Batman is not a sociopath. He's dark, he's violent, he's strong willed, but he doesn't want to be.
Frank Miller made him a man who enjoys inflicting pain, enjoys forcing his will on people. That a hero does not make. An interesting story, but these are not qualities to be celebrated like say in 300. I'm glad the story is out there, I'm not saying it shouldn't be. I just disagree with his world view (which doesn't mean it should be changed).

#14 2008-10-03 00:29:19

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

nobody wrote:

I don't know if he's even liquid talent. He has the ability to see potential for darkness in characters, which makes them interesting. Then he takes it too far. His most famous characters are sociopathic fascists that he turns into heroes. He did the same thing with Batman. Batman is not a sociopath. He's dark, he's violent, he's strong willed, but he doesn't want to be.
Frank Miller made him a man who enjoys inflicting pain, enjoys forcing his will on people. That a hero does not make. An interesting story, but these are not qualities to be celebrated like say in 300. I'm glad the story is out there, I'm not saying it shouldn't be. I just disagree with his world view (which doesn't mean it should be changed).

To be fair, Miller's Batman sort of changed as time went on. DKR Batman is a lot closer to a 'traditional' Batman, maybe just a bit more unbalanced. DKSA and All-Star Batman are flat-out psychotic, which doesn't ring true with the character. DKR is still my favorite interpretation of Batman because it strikes the best balance: he's still a man doing what he feels is right, and only out of obligation, but...there's something a little wrong with him, a little more than first impressions give.

"RAND PROTECT US! THAT'S THE BEE'S KNEES!"-Mistah A

#15 2008-10-03 21:52:50

???

nobody wrote:

The more i read of Frank Miller, the less I like him, and he's going to screw up the Spirit movie, and that upsets me.

I agree with that.

DKR FITS with the continuity, I'd like to see Batman (and the Batman series) go out that way. And DKSA isn't bad, I just wish the New Joker wasn't Dick Grayson, that DOESN'T WORK!

I'm gonna wait for All Star Batman to come out in paperback. Not worth the hardcover.

Sensitive/Lethal

#16 2008-10-03 23:01:48

Mr.A
A = Mr. A

Funny, almost this exact conversation came up in my local comic store today. The analogy (or was it metaphor? I can never keep those two straight) that was drawn was this: Miller is like one of those bands that basically has four good albums in it, and everything else is either a greatest hits record or a rehash of the same old crap. Also, they seemed to think Miller's All Star Batman is basically just Marv from Sin City, but I  haven't read All Star or Sin City so I can't judge properly.

For my part, I pretty much agree with the rest of you. Miller has written some great stories, in particular his Daredevil Vs. the Punisher story line from the mid 1980's that really set the tone for both those characters for a long time to come, but he also tends to  go over the top when it isn't even remotely necessary. And, on another note...whatever happened to "Holy Terror, Batman!"?

The world spins mad. The people are so intoxicated by luxury they forget everything that makes us more than house pets. Reason. Truth. Justice. Freedom. The human spirit is a shattered pane of glass – wrapped in soft velvet and soaked in sugary poison.

#17 2008-10-03 23:42:19

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

Mr.A wrote:

Funny, almost this exact conversation came up in my local comic store today. The analogy (or was it metaphor? I can never keep those two straight) that was drawn was this: Miller is like one of those bands that basically has four good albums in it, and everything else is either a greatest hits record or a rehash of the same old crap. Also, they seemed to think Miller's All Star Batman is basically just Marv from Sin City, but I  haven't read All Star or Sin City so I can't judge properly.

For my part, I pretty much agree with the rest of you. Miller has written some great stories, in particular his Daredevil Vs. the Punisher story line from the mid 1980's that really set the tone for both those characters for a long time to come, but he also tends to  go over the top when it isn't even remotely necessary. And, on another note...whatever happened to "Holy Terror, Batman!"?

Miller stopped giggling to himself everytime he thought about "Holy Terror, Batman" and has thusly lost the will to finish it. As big of a Miller apologist as I am, let's face it: he only thought of that one to get a rise out of people.

As for Marv being All-Star Batman...that's pretty accurate. Both of them are big men who use extremely violent methods to achieve their goals, and both of them seem to revel in the idea they're...mentally unsound.

#18 2008-10-07 10:16:53

j3h
Custom Made Moderator
Website

Didn't a recent-ish Lying in the Gutters rumors say that "Holy Terror" was being re-worked to not feature Batman?  I have no idea how extensive a re-working that would be, but I would imagine pretty major.

I would expect it to never come out till after Miller's death, at which point it would become "the great lost unfinished work"

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/j3h/avatars/QuestionSanityBanner.jpg

#19 2008-10-07 23:42:38

Flash1087
The "Wizard"
Website

j3h wrote:

Didn't a recent-ish Lying in the Gutters rumors say that "Holy Terror" was being re-worked to not feature Batman?  I have no idea how extensive a re-working that would be, but I would imagine pretty major.

I would expect it to never come out till after Miller's death, at which point it would become "the great lost unfinished work"

Alright...so if he's taking out Batman, then...who's in it? The Spirit? Or is Miller gonna draw HIMSELF fighting Al Queida? The whole thing is a punchline, it's the Duke Nukem Forever of comics.

• Index
  •  » Q? at DC
  •  » The Question in All Star Batman & Robin?

Board footer