"The Gambler" - May 1997
- Script: Christopher Priest
- Pencils: Denys Cowan
- Inks: Tom Palmer
- Lettering: Pat Brosseau
- Colors: Stu Chaifetz
- Associate Editor: Katie Main
- Editor: Frank Pittarese
- Cover: Dave Johnson
- Published by DC Comics
The Question meets up with John Henry Irons, a.k.a. Steel, in the middle of Casablanca. Irons is looking for a man named Dr. Arthur Villain (pronounced Vill-hane), and Sage is looking for enough money to get out.
Together, they plan to break into the fortress of Malaway Isma'il, the man suspected of kidnapping Villain. After Vic is captured, Steel is caught in a gamble with Isma'il and his strongman Col. Metcalfe: If Steel can beat Metcalfe in an indian-style tied-fight, he and Vic can go free.
If not, he has to stay and make thousands of super-costumes for Isma'il....
A more complete summary coming soon!
- John Henry Irons / Steel
- Vic Sage / The Question
- Mawlay Isma'il
- Arthur Villain
Trivia / Minutiae
Christopher Priest was once called Jim Owsley, and edited issues of the Question Quarterly.
Priest and Cowan worked together with other African-American artists to create the Milestone Universe, a DC imprint.
- The Official DC Comics Website
- The Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Mikel Midnight's Golden Age Directory
- Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics
- Who's Whose in the DC Universe
- Digital Priest (NSFW)
- "I Was a Teen-Age Comics Artist" - Interview with Denys Cowan
- Catching Up With Denys Cowan - Interview with Newsarama
Views From Other Sources
Got a review? E-mail us!
Book Club Discussion